Online Student Orientation Tutorial (OLSOT)
The Online Learning Student Orientation Tutorial (OLSOT) is a self-paced, fully online tutorial that prepares first-time online students for the online learning environment. It provides important information and policies regarding online courses, exercises with experimental online activities, and tips for building soft skills that are important for success in an online course.
The OLSOT is required for all students taking an online course at MSMC for the first time.
Students should expect to spend ~1 hour completing this tutorial (students may complete in less or more time than estimated, depending on their learning style and/or familiarity with tutorial topics.)
After completion, students are not required to participate in the OLSOT again.
Accessing the Tutorial
Upon registering for an online course for the first time, students will have the “Online Tutorial” hold placed on their student account. This hold will appear under the “Alerts” section of the My MSMC Portal. Within the alert message, students will see a link to the tutorial.
The Online Tutorial Hold
The Online Tutorial hold will prevent future course registrations.
Students who have not completed the OLSOT will continue to have a hold on their account, and will not be able to register for courses.
- The tutorial contains five modules of content and a final assessment. Students must pass the assessment with an 80% or better. Students may take the assessment as many times as necessary to pass.
- Upon successful completion, students will receive an automated confirmation of completion email. Students should keep this email for their records.
- Students can expect the hold to be removed from their account shortly after receiving the confirmation of completion email. If the hold is not automatically removed after 24 hours, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Certain elements of this tutorial may not be compatible with mobile devices. A PC or Mac desktop or laptop is recommended while interacting with the tutorial.
- This tutorial is completely self-paced, and is not monitored by a facilitator.
If you have questions regarding the requirements of this tutorial, or the “Online Tutorial” hold, please email email@example.com.