Online Testing Support
Faculty are encouraged to consult with our instructional support staff to build an online quiz or exam within eClass. particularly if you have not designed one before. We are available to:
- consult on general assessment design/approach within an online environment
- advise on selection of settings to encourage academic honesty
- assist in the building of questions/question banks
- make recommendations for smooth online exam delivery
For eClass quizzes/exams delivered in a classroom environment, our instructional support staff cannot provide live, in-classroom support during exam time. Similarly, it is not guaranteed that a staff member will be available for support via phone/zoom, if issues should arise during exam time.
To ensure a smooth exam experience for both you and your students, faculty are encouraged to make a consultation appointment to review eClass quizzes/exams prior to administration to ensure a smooth delivery. Such appointments should be made at least 3-5 business days prior to exam date. Appointment requests made within 24-48 hours of exam date may not be accommodated due to staffing or previous commitments.
Forms of online testing support provided by the Office of Digital Learning and Instructional Design Services:
- We can provide eClass quiz creation and configuration support to all instructors
- We can ensure an eClass quiz works properly and all settings are correct upon request
- We can configure user and group overrides for students requiring this service, if given advanced notice
- We can provide training for instructors in how best to administer and create eClass exams
- We can delete quiz attempts, modify questions, regrade eClass quiz attempts, and open/close questions upon instructor’s request
- We can provide student access/activity logs regarding eClass quizzes upon request
- We can provide eClass gradebook support with regards to eClass quizzes
Forms of Support Not Provided:
- We cannot provide support for third-party testing software outside of eClass
- We cannot provide support for personal computers/devices
- We cannot loan computers or devices to students
- We cannot administer synchronous quizzes for an instructor, or be physically present during an exam
- We cannot create eClass quizzes for instructors after initial training and support
If an instructor offers online quizzes via eClass and has one or more students that receive testing accommodations, he or she should consult with the Office of Digital Learning and Instructional Design Services and the Office of Disability Services to ensure that the student will receive those accommodations.
Instructors must add the Accommodations Coordinator from Disability Services to their eClass course page as an additional “teacher.” The Accommodations Coordinator will then be able to create overrides in a specified quiz on eClass, which will change the following test settings for the individual student(s):
- the time and date that the quiz will be open, if the student must have the exam proctored at a different time
- the time limit for the quiz, if the student requires extra time
The Accommodations Coordinator, once added to the course, will create and modify overrides for a quiz only in order to provide the required support for a student with disabilities. This person will make no other changes to the course under his or her level of access..
If you are an instructor utilizing ExamSoft to administer online exams in your courses, the Office of Digital Learning and Instructional Design Services can help you ensure that your eClass gradebook is configured appropriately for ExamSoft. After this initial gradebook configuration, our office cannot provide further support for ExamSoft. Please direct all other support questions to your ExamSoft representative or your Academic School/Division.
If you are an instructor utilizing the Respondus LockDown Browser to administer online exams in your courses, the Office of Digital Learning and Instructional Design Services can provide support for configuring your eClass quizzes to be compatible with LockDown Browser. All other support questions should be directed to Respondus Support, IT Support, or your Academic School/Division.
- Utilizing Respondus LockDown Browser in eClass – Video Tutorials
- Using the Respondus LockDown Browser in eClass – Documentation